Dear visitor, welcome to Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jorgtre

Friday, December 16th 2011, 1:46am

i don't think dominion is boring, i just think 5v5s are much more funn. nothing wrong with dominion. its just the we love the old 5v5 map, and also how the playstyle is

Friday, December 16th 2011, 2:39am

BUT ITS DOMINION !!1 ITS FAST ITS FUN ITS HERP ITS DERP !!!!!111one

Friday, December 16th 2011, 7:40am

The result of this poll will be biased. I don't mean that in a bad way, but with the nature of the sample of people voting, it's unavoidable.

You need to learn Summoner's Rift before you can really understand what's going on. There are so many little things which can make a difference to a match, which you can only appreciate once you know what they are. For most LOL players, this is a none-issue, since they know these things. For anyone with no MOBA or RTS experience, they can only recognise obviously good plays and what the commentators inform them of. As such, while LOL/MOBA/RTS players will have few problems following what is happening, anyone outside of that sutset of potential viewers will have to try a little harder to understand why the players are running around in lanes and murdering the AI instead of primarily each other.

On the other hand, progress is Dominion is far easier to understand for a non-player, with both teams having a big number indicating their score and their control of the map being relatively obvious, but to a seasoned LOL player, the experience is perceived as having less depth. I think the main reasons for this are possible balance issues as well as a lack of competitive play involving it. For the map's balance, as well as the playerbase's understanding of the map to progress, it's required for strong players to play the map, so the statistics can be studied for balance purposes and so optimal and sub-optimal strategies can be discovered. However, with the above reasons in mind, professional players have little to no incentive to play the map, as the experience is less satisfying for them, and any experience they do gain won't be put to any practical use in their role as professionals.

All of this means that most LOL players will automatically attribute more competitive value to Summoner's Rift, no questions asked.

To go off-topic slightly, I think that having large prize numbers abruptly attached to Dominion would do the map wonders, even if it doesn't make much sense to begin with. Suddenly pro players would have an incentive to play and learn the map, in the process exposing balance issues which can be fixed as the season progresses. As pro players exhibit how to play the map well, the playerbase in general would begin to build more appreciation for the map. The end result of this would hopefully be that Dominion would be more widely accepted, and that seasoned LOL players would have an enjoyment of spectating a game mode which can also be easily appreciated by non-players. That's not to say it would ever replace Classic - it wouldn't - but apart from brute force fame, promoting accessiblity and ease of understanding to non-players is the only way mechanically complicated e-sports can reach and be understood by a wider non-LOL/MOBA/RTS audience.

Monday, January 2nd 2012, 2:29pm

The result of this poll will be biased. I don't mean that in a bad way, but with the nature of the sample of people voting, it's unavoidable.

You need to learn Summoner's Rift before you can really understand what's going on. There are so many little things which can make a difference to a match, which you can only appreciate once you know what they are. For most LOL players, this is a none-issue, since they know these things. For anyone with no MOBA or RTS experience, they can only recognise obviously good plays and what the commentators inform them of. As such, while LOL/MOBA/RTS players will have few problems following what is happening, anyone outside of that sutset of potential viewers will have to try a little harder to understand why the players are running around in lanes and murdering the AI instead of primarily each other.

On the other hand, progress is Dominion is far easier to understand for a non-player, with both teams having a big number indicating their score and their control of the map being relatively obvious, but to a seasoned LOL player, the experience is perceived as having less depth. I think the main reasons for this are possible balance issues as well as a lack of competitive play involving it. For the map's balance, as well as the playerbase's understanding of the map to progress, it's required for strong players to play the map, so the statistics can be studied for balance purposes and so optimal and sub-optimal strategies can be discovered. However, with the above reasons in mind, professional players have little to no incentive to play the map, as the experience is less satisfying for them, and any experience they do gain won't be put to any practical use in their role as professionals.

All of this means that most LOL players will automatically attribute more competitive value to Summoner's Rift, no questions asked.

To go off-topic slightly, I think that having large prize numbers abruptly attached to Dominion would do the map wonders, even if it doesn't make much sense to begin with. Suddenly pro players would have an incentive to play and learn the map, in the process exposing balance issues which can be fixed as the season progresses. As pro players exhibit how to play the map well, the playerbase in general would begin to build more appreciation for the map. The end result of this would hopefully be that Dominion would be more widely accepted, and that seasoned LOL players would have an enjoyment of spectating a game mode which can also be easily appreciated by non-players. That's not to say it would ever replace Classic - it wouldn't - but apart from brute force fame, promoting accessiblity and ease of understanding to non-players is the only way mechanically complicated e-sports can reach and be understood by a wider non-LOL/MOBA/RTS audience.
Well said, although I wouldn't necessarily agree with the thought that Dominion is inherently less appealing to pro players.

Personally I feel that Dominion would be a huge success if the e-sports world and Riot accepted and promoted it. The game mode is quite a bit more interesting to watch that SR given that there is constant action bottled up into a fast game. The mode really suites itself better to watching that SR ever could.

The real problem is that Riot has done little to promote it since its launch, and most of the popular LoL streamers and many prominent e-sports figures have already written it off as a mode that is not competition worthy, despite Riot obviously designing it as such. From there, popular opinion has slowly swayed to agreeing.

Why did many people write it off immediatly? Fear of no longer being in the spotlight or competitive in another game mode. That seems to be the only real reason I can think of.