Dear visitor, welcome to Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bade

Library Manager

• "Bade" started this thread

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 6:04pm

Bade's Mathcrafting Corner!

Hey guys,
A few times recently I've offered my services as a mathcrafter on the stream, and it seemed fairly popular, so I figured I'd offer my services to the community!

If you have any mathcrafting questions (item efficiency, damage calculations, effective builds, etc) post them here and I'll try and answer them!

Now to keep expectations realisitic let's lay down the following guidelines:
1) Mathcraft =/= in game performance, the game is dynamic and no matter how good your build there needs to be skill to back it up.

2) Certain things cannot be calculated. The active ability of Ghostblade can be quasi-calculated because it gives flat stacks, but it's difficult to calculate the active ability of Randuin's, DFG, etc, as well as many of the more complicated passives like Madred's. These things cannot be given a gold value, I can merely tell you how much that ability will cost you, and it's up to you to see if it's worth it.

3) If you want a scenario played out, give me the scenario you want including what champion, what build, vs who, and what build on them. If I'm left to calculate normally, I usually just use Ashe with no items for simplicity.

4) I'm only human, I can miscalculate. If I do, point it out, I'll recalculate if you're correct and update the post.

Hopefully this will be something you'll all find useful!

Abubakr

Thursday, July 22nd 2010, 10:57pm

I'd like to see how efficient Trinity Force is. I do not think it is worth all that gold.

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 7:07am

With Trinity force you pay 113 g for the movement speed, the chance to slow, and the damage proc.
Provided you actually make full use of all the other stats. Which is unlikely.

Give me the stats you don't really need (ie: that you wouldn't buy otherwise) and I'll tell you how much you pay for those.

Abubakr

Friday, July 23rd 2010, 11:53am

Let's assume all stats were helpful to your champion. Would it be worth buying Trinity or buying separate items that give more or the same stats?

Saturday, July 24th 2010, 10:38am

Since Trinity force is efficient with the stats alone (113g for the move speed and passives) you won't find items that will really give you much more (aside from doran's and elixir) for the same price. It is a very good item if you really need all the stats.

Abubakr

Saturday, July 24th 2010, 8:49pm

Alright, thanks for the reply.

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 8:20pm

Here's a Vlad question: since he doesn't use mana, what's the effective value/cost on items like Banshee's Veil and Rod of Ages when you ignore the mana they come with.

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 8:24am

Here is something that has been bothering me for quite some time:

Gragas' Drunken Rage provides a 26% damage reduction, and if I go defense tree then I can throw on another 4% for a cool 30% reduc. What stat, HP/Armor/MR, would provide the best reduction of damage given his 30% natural reduc? I've always wondered what the answer to this question is so I can optimize my Gragas tank build.

nicosharp

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 9:46am

Gragas' Drunken Rage provides a 26% damage reduction, and if I go defense tree then I can throw on another 4% for a cool 30% reduc. What stat, HP/Armor/MR, would provide the best reduction of damage given his 30% natural reduc? I've always wondered what the answer to this question is so I can optimize my Gragas tank build.
I like how Bade doesn't answer anyone... but the simple answer is Armor is the best.. Just because Towers do physical damage AFAIK. If they are caster heavy, you need to lump on MR also.. This is why Gragas used to be awesome with the old Leviathan cause you could get to 45% mitigation. Also Janna's Shield and Morgana's sheild benefit from armor/and MR respectively, which also is effected by mitigation.

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 10:25am

I like how Bade doesn't answer anyone... but the simple answer is Armor is the best.. Just because Towers do physical damage AFAIK. If they are caster heavy, you need to lump on MR also.. This is why Gragas used to be awesome with the old Leviathan cause you could get to 45% mitigation. Also Janna's Shield and Morgana's sheild benefit from armor/and MR respectively, which also is effected by mitigation.
Well that much is a given lol. I'm moreso talking about mathematically what would provide the most tankiness rather than situationally. And yeah, ever since the Leviathan nerf I've never felt comfortable being the only non-squishy on the team :/

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 11:20am

Here's a Vlad question: since he doesn't use mana, what's the effective value/cost on items like Banshee's Veil and Rod of Ages when you ignore the mana they come with.
Ok, here we go. I didnt round in this calculations, but otherwise they should be correct

Net Worths (i.e. the price you pay for actives/passives) on Vlad:
Catalyst: -321
RoA (base): -355
RoA (max): 1380
Banshees: -246

nicosharp

Wednesday, July 28th 2010, 11:28am

Well that much is a given lol. I'm moreso talking about mathematically what would provide the most tankiness rather than situationally. And yeah, ever since the Leviathan nerf I've never felt comfortable being the only non-squishy on the team :/
You can't mathmatically quantify the value of something unless you know the source of damage. Armor throughout the game will generally give you more bang for your buck. Many armor items include HP, HP also helps Gragas heal with his passive. You aren't really asking for a mathmatical solution, you are asking for a Item analysis - true value for gold spent.

basically - Randuins Omen, Sunfire Capes, Banshee's Veil, Aegis of the Legion, Mercury Treads, Red Elixir are all great.