Dear visitor, welcome to Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Borengora

• "Borengora" started this thread

Tuesday, December 27th 2011, 12:20pm

Gamers Model HIV Protein in Three Weeks...

...that scientists have been working on for over a decade.

m.cbsnews.com/blogsstorysynopsis.rbml?feed_id=71&catid=20108763&videofeed=null (again, on phone so no linkey. Sorry!)

This link is for the mobile site, but I'll try to remember to post a better one when I get home.

Tuesday, December 27th 2011, 12:23pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

is this relevant? or am i looking at something else?

Tuesday, December 27th 2011, 12:53pm

September 20th...fairly old news.

Also, the term "gamers" is in the loosest definition of the word. They are only gamers because they are working with an environment that is almost identical to a puzzle game. None of these people probably play games prominently outside of Foldit.

I don't want to discredit anyone or take away the fact that "gamers" did something amazing, but it's like saying scientist when I am referring to someone that mixed baking soda and vinegar to make something explode.

Tuesday, December 27th 2011, 2:12pm

Hyfe

Tuesday, December 27th 2011, 5:40pm

Isn't this a few months late?

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 1:51am

yeah this was already posted on here (or solomid) a while ago.
I was using foldit before this even came out. Gamers werent the people who determined the structure anyway.. foldit users are not "gamers" as much as one would like to think.

Wednesday, January 4th 2012, 1:30pm

WoW o_O you weren't home for a veeeeery long time