Dear visitor, welcome to Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DiffTheEnder

• "DiffTheEnder" started this thread

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 3:54pm

Analysis: Greater Quintessence of Vampirism

Welcome to another edition of A DIFFerent View!
On today's analysis, we will be continuing the analysis of the new runes Riot has released.
On today's roster is Life Steal Quints.

Without any further ado, let's dive in!

Greater Quintessence of Vampirism - 2% Lifesteal

Firstly, let's figure out what we will be using these runes for. Runes in general, are used to boost your strengths early in the game or try to cover up for your weaknesses in lane, that you wouldn't normally be able to do with your starting items.

Having said that, lifesteal is a stat that all champions who auto-attack benefit from and aids in sustaining yourself.
I see no circumstances in which these quints will be used on magic damage dealing champions.

So for this analysis, we will restrict it by comparing it to options AD champs would purchase (we will do the same thing for the following SV analysis, except for AP champs!)

Gold Worth

Let's take a look at the gold worth of these runes compared to other quintessences.
Recall my average stat cost table from my previous analysis:

Both Lifesteal and Spell Vamp are on the higher end of the cost of itemisation, so using runes to offset that cost seems like a smart idea. Let's see, shall we?

The following is a table detailing every quintessence (that I can put a value on!) and the gold value they give (includes lifesteal and spell vamp).

Note: That 208.15 value at the bottom right is the average gold value of a set of quintessences (including lifesteal and spell vamp.) The average without taking into account LS and SV quints is 212.39

So gold value-wise, a set of lifesteal quintessences are worth it.

Comparisons

However, we have to compare the gains of 6% Lifesteal as opposed to 6.75 damage or 10 Armor Penetration (ie. the 2 other common Quintessences used for AD champions)
For this we have to recall the damage table I generated in my AD vs ArPen Debunked.

Let's use a fairly generic value of 25 armor for the opponent and 65 base damage for your champion and assume that you are already using ArPen marks (15 ArPen from marks)
If we had 10 armor penetration from quints, you would do 6 extra damage.
If we had 6.75 damage from quints, you would do around 5 extra damage.
If we had 6% lifesteal from quints, you would heal for around 3.4 more HP per auto attack against this champion.

Effectiveness

However lifesteal will be mainly used against minions who have roughly 2 armor (at 6 minutes into the game). You will be dealing true damage to them so you will heal for 3.9HP per hit. Minions spawn at a rate of 30 seconds per wave. Each wave contains 6 minions, with each third wave containing a siege minion. Assuming you deal only last hits to each minion you will be hitting one auto attack per 4.666 seconds, however to account for potential harassing, and setting up waves, we'll call it one auto-attack per 4 seconds.

At one AA per 4 seconds, with a heal rate of approximately 3.9HP, you will heal for 58.5HP per minute.
EDIT): If you think of the lifesteal quints in terms of HP per minute then your 58.5 HP per minute approximation makes them look quite bad when compared to HP/5 quints which give 97.2 HP per minute. You'd have to attack more frequently to equal the HP/5 quints, and you probably don't want to do that since it'll push the lane. (thanks to Latrine for this contribution

At late game, lifesteal quints will heal you for more. Exactly how much depends on how much damage you are dealing per hit. Let's say you're hitting for 150 every hit (Realistic enough value, check the above table), 6% lifesteal would heal you for 9 HP every hit, whereas ArPen Quints would give about 15 extra damage per hit, depending on what part of the table you are looking at.

Looking at the cost of itemisation of lifesteal, you can get a vampiric scepter, which is 12% lifesteal for only 450 gold or 2 Doran's Blades for 6% Lifesteal.
However, compare this to ArPen and you will see that it is nowhere near as easy to itemise for Armor Penetration and for that reason alone, I'd take Armor Penetration Quints or even AD Quints over Lifesteal.

Final Recommendation: Unless you are going for an extremely sustained lane with 3% Lifesteal mastery, Vampiric Scepter and 6% Lifesteal Quints to start with 21% Lifesteal, there is no good reason to choose this over ArPen or AD Quints. Likewise for junglers, Lifesteal Quints are redundant, since after the jungle changes, most junglers find it very easy to sustain in the jungle and will also find more value for money in buying ArPen Quints or any other choice. My opinion on these quints? Do not buy. (However, if you feel that the math supports your purpose in buying these quints, by all means go ahead.)

=====================================
If you guys have any questions, feedback, suggestions, propositions or anything else you'd like to say:

- Feel free to join me in the "A DIFFerent View" chatroom on the NA server in the LoL Client
- Leave a comment on my Facebook page
- Leave a comment, on this post
- Email me at [email protected]

Hope you enjoy reading the blog!
- DiffTheEnder
=====================================

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "DiffTheEnder" (Jan 10th 2012, 6:35pm)

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 4:06pm

When they announced the Life Steal Quints, I said "They better be like 4% or they won't be worth a second look." The small % is just not worth it at all, no matter which way you look at it.

Good post.

Machcia

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 4:29pm

LIfe Steal Quints are better if you are going to start Doran's blade, at least in bot lane :x

DiffTheEnder

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 4:42pm

LIfe Steal Quints are better if you are going to start Doran's blade, at least in bot lane :x
That's why I said "extra" healing per minute. Lifesteal doesn't stack multiplicatively. Stacks additively, every point of lifesteal is as effective as the last.

Up to the player if they want the extra X hp heal per hit.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 5:10pm

FinalValkyrie are you serious bro? Didn't you just say you didn't care for his posts??!?! >.>

That amount of lifesteal on Nasus would be pretty hilarious early game

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 5:23pm

Those runes would be even worse if the opponont starts with cloth armor +5 pots and/or has armor runes which isn't too uncommon these days on certain champs like Vayne that don't need that much mana.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 5:35pm

"Unless you are going for an extremely sustained lane with 3% Lifesteal mastery, Vampiric Scepter and 6% Lifesteal Quints to start with 21% Lifesteal". I don't get why vamp quints would be good with vampiric scepter + masteries but not with any other setup. You've justified everything else in your post except for this sentence.

DiffTheEnder

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 5:39pm

"Unless you are going for an extremely sustained lane with 3% Lifesteal mastery, Vampiric Scepter and 6% Lifesteal Quints to start with 21% Lifesteal". I don't get why vamp quints would be good with vampiric scepter + masteries but not with any other setup. You've justified everything else in your post except for this sentence.
That was just my opinion XD
2 things win lanes. More sustain or more damage. So depending on matchup that might be useful.

No math behind it.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 5:58pm

If you think of the lifesteal quints in terms of HP per minute then your 58.5 HP per minute approximation makes them look quite bad when compared to HP/5 quints which give 97.2 HP per minute. You'd have to attack more frequently to equal the HP/5 quints, and you probably don't want to do that since it'll push the lane.

DiffTheEnder

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 6:33pm

If you think of the lifesteal quints in terms of HP per minute then your 58.5 HP per minute approximation makes them look quite bad when compared to HP/5 quints which give 97.2 HP per minute. You'd have to attack more frequently to equal the HP/5 quints, and you probably don't want to do that since it'll push the lane.
Wow, thank you for that. That's a very good observation. I'll edit that into my post with due credit. I hope you don't mind!

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 7:27pm

The lifesteal quints aren't any better if you are running other lifesteal masteries or items cause they still provide an addition flat amount of extra regen, so just cause someone goes Doran's Blade doesn't mean they should try stack more lifesteal, they still have the same incentive to take AD or ArPen quints instead.

I say this partly in response to someone saying they are better when used with a Doran's Blade, but they aren't any better it just means your stacking more regen, just my thought on the matter, don't mean to be picky.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Snuffrix" (Jan 10th 2012, 7:33pm)

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 8:31pm

Sometimes I troll build 3% masteries 6% runes 12% vamp septre and 14% passive on nasus for 35% life steal. Also, last hitting with Q does a lot of damage. But that's because Nasus is different And that's pretty much all I use my lifesteal runes for.

AD Carries run with support, so they don't need sustain and pretty much always pack flat AD quints.